Thursday, 13 October 2011

Thursday 13th October - Celebrating 38 years

On October 13th 1973, a young teacher, just about six weeks into his career, married his lovely partner of six years and so began the Nicholson dynasty. So here we are, 38 years later and to mark the event we decided to have a special lunch together.
The day started with Tash dropping me at the House with a strimmer. As I was strumming the front of the house out by the road, the neighbour over the road introduced himself and we chatted together for a while. As we did a pair of large raucous birds flew into a nearby tree. "Channel-billed cuckoo", he said. There's no way he'd know that without specialised knowledge and I asked him how he knew. He replied that he liked to photograph birds and then invited me in to see his albums of bird photos. Half an hour later I emerged to continue my strimming with a new found friend.

I finished the front of the house, inside the fence as well as outside before Di arrived to whisk me off to lunch. Di had spent the morning cleaning the bathroom. I did a quick change and we drove down to Pearl Beach and had a lovely seafood lunch. I had battered flathead, giant prawns, chili-lemon squid rings,smoked salmon with chips and salad. Di opted for Hoisin duck on a bed of crispy noodles and salad. After lunch we drove home and relaxed for the rest of the afternoon. I built a wooden model truck for Ollie which he subsequently dismantled with extreme prejudice!

Around six thirty we walked down to the high street and went to the local Turkish cafe where we had a light supper of typical Turkish fare - kebabs, dips, sis kofte etc with a lump of naughty paklava to follow. It was a BYO joint and we took a bottle of Australian sparkling wine to celebrate our thirty eighth anniversary together.
So, all in all, a heavy day for the waistline and looks like a heavy gym session is the order of the day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment