Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Wednesday 12th October - Playgroup, Gym and Deepwater Plaza

After breakfast today we drove to Pearl Beach which is one of my favourite places on the Central Coast. It's just east of Umina, round a headland and at the mouth of the Hawksbury River(setting of that great Aussie film, "The Oyster Farmers"). It is a classic little bay with golden sands and a tree lined shore. There are two eateries here: a restaurant called, "Pearls on the Beach" (yet to be tried) and a cafe which does excellent lunches (tried heaps last time we were here). Ollie attends a play-group here every week. Di and I dropped Tash and Ollie off and then headed back the way we'd come and back again to Woy Woy and the Peninsula Leisure Centre. Here we just missed a yoga class as we arrived a little late owing to leaving too short a time and then getting caught in major road resurfacing works on the road down to Pearl beach - in both directions! No matter, as we went into the gym and did an hour on the machines. I even managed the rower as I have brought with me from England a special prosthetic leg which I use specifically for rowing. To row, you need to bend your knees until your feet virtually touch your bum. Not possible with a normal walking prosthesis which grips on the condyles of your knees. For the same reason I can't squat and when I do any gardening, I am forced to sit on the ground when attempting any low level work. Anyway, I haven't rowed for yonks and was happy with a 2000m time of 10min 19s. I did some cycling and bench press type machine work as well as my usual arm workout before we headed back to Pearl.

They were waiting for us and we headed home without a stop for coffee. Must improve on time keeping next week! Saw Tash's two friends Naomi the gardener and Irish Amanda with her two little boys Seamus and Santanta, before we left.

After lunch and Ollie-snooze, I helped Will move a huge shower screen round to the new house where he is busy installing the bathroom now that the tiler has all but finished his work. Whilst he toiled on, The rest of us went shopping at Deepwater Plaza, a mall in Wpy Woy. I bought a cheap pair of shoes and a teeshirt for gardening and Ollie had a haircut. The mall is pretty nice with a large Coles store and lots of smaller shops. I sat and drunk a coffee whilst Di browsed in a clothes shop and Tash took Ollie for a haircut, all in sight of each other. I also bought some credit for our Aussie phone. Di and I checked in to the medical centre there but we were told that nothing was necessary until we got ill and then we could claim back any medical expenses we would incur. Not that we intend to get sick but you never know!

Then it was back to the new house to see how Will was getting on and I went to do some quantity surveying of fencing materials. You will remember that a snake-proof and suicidal toddler proof fence is mandatory and that I have agreed to provide it.

We dined late tonight and talked about plans for tomorrow when we will dine out in celebration of us olds' 38th wedding anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment